Chiffon
Chiffon
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

hangman - Automation of 'Hangman'  Empty Automation of 'Hangman'

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:16 am
hangman - Automation of 'Hangman'  Open?id=1NA1x8ZJYjGIJmfRY8pM7TbWlaIcSwTaA

Hi everyone,

I've had a go at making my first game - it's Hangman - but instead of 'hanging a man', it's Mr. Potato Head and he gets progressively more naked!!!

Because the way I'm using it (in a closed circuit tv studio) I will be controlling the board and kids will be calling in to choose the letters and words. So for this first version, I've gone very simple and simply set up trigger animations on everything - the letters in the alphabet chart change color, the letters in the word get revealed and the pieces fly off Mr Potato Head all by clicking the respective section of the board.

So my question is : If I want to create a bunch of these - so we could do I new game every week - is there a way to (for lack of a better word) automate or simplify the process of changing the words? Or do I need to just do through the same steps for each game?

Are there any other suggestions people have on how I could improve this?

I usually work on a Mac so I have to borrow someone else's computer every time I want to work on this, which is annoying (Curse you Mac for Powerpoint and your lack of triggers!!!)
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

hangman - Automation of 'Hangman'  Empty Re: Automation of 'Hangman'

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am
Hi Chiffon,

I don't know if either of these will help, but here's a link to my  HANGMAN  game where you can download the PPTX file to see if it works in a similar way to yours. I made the game with 10 different words and as I recall, it was a case of duplicating each slide the adjusting the animations to suit each new word. It was a slog, but in your case you could do a batch to cover a period of weeks.

However......you got me re-thinking of a 'freeform' way of playing it where you only need one slide each for games with 5, 6, 7 etc letters etc and you can use the same slides over and over again for any words you want (and it could be a two-player game). I'd thought of a possible way to do it before but never got round to producing anything until now - so thanks for the prompt!

I've just made an example HANGMAN - Freeform (Top right: '...' > Download first or it won't work properly). It only works with letters a b & c at the moment, but you'll get the gist. You should be able to get all the other letters to work in the same way with 'Animation Painter' etc. (Happy to help with doing this if you need it). It looks a bit clunky as it stands, but there may be ways to get it to look how you'd like. Hope you find it of interest.
Chiffon
Chiffon
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:06 pm
Awesome, thanks John! I'll have a look at these and see if I can figure it out! Will come back to you with more questions I'm sure! Smile
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 am
Hi Chiffon,

I've just finished a new version of Hangman using a similar approach to the 'freeform' version above. It worked out to be more complicated that I thought it would, but it's just about got there now I hope.

I've posted it into the games forum: HANGMAN 2 If you want, you can use the PPTX file as a template for use with the children (suitably adjusted of course for your young audience). I think, all you would need to to is:
 - Change the background picture to whatever you want via 'Format Background > Picture or Texture fill'
 - Have Mr Potato Heads clothing exit manually on-click
 - Have all the clothes appear again on click of the 'New Game' button

Having got the template, you can use it as a single slide over and over again.

If you've got a game that you've finished (Hangman or anything else) please feel free to make it available on the forum. We'd love to see what you are doing.
Chiffon
Chiffon
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 am
Awesome, thanks John!
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 am
Hi Chiffon, How's the game going? Anything you can share with us yet?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum