PowerPoint Creative

Go down
ListWits
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator
http://dasaintfan1.wixsite.com/listwits

Trying to figure out if people will kill me for 1 of these almost every night :)

on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
For those of you who know game shows, know there was a TV version of Monopoly (actually two that I know of, one was for the California Lottery, the other barely had any air time), there were a few versions of Boggle, Trivial Pursuit, and even a Game of Life (although that was on Nickelodeon's family game show night.. It still counts!)

But one of the best games out there never had a game show made after it... It actually had a(nother) British show made after it, but that was more of a play on screen (two police officers watched an act out scene and had to predict the who, what, where), but I don't remember any version of the game itself of Clue.

This was I believe the first "original" game I'd ever done for a trivia / game-show.  I present to you the game of "Clue" (or rather "Cluedo"). - Designed for 3 players.

And the mechanics are some of the simplest (and probably my most used for almost every trivia show I do.)

After you Fill the Board (Load the Questions from a text file), you select "Next Q" and the first question will appear on the screen with three possible answers.   First player to buzz in can choose the answer they think is correct,  if they're wrong, the next player to buzz in can pick the next answer they think is correct, and if he's wrong, well player 3 gets it by default.

First you fill the board... which basically wipes out the scores to 0, and loads 18 questions (only 18, yes!) and then you click on each detective box to name your detectives (Rusnak, John for running a great site, and giving me a chance to express myself, I picked you two as two of the three detectives).

You then click Next Q and the first question will appear on the screen with three possible answers.  Fastest guesser gets to choose the first answer they think is right..  then you click that answer, if it disappears, you were wrong and are locked out til the next question.   The two remaining detectives then race for the 2nd pick, and again, wrong answer disappears, right answer stays and all the wrong answers disappear.

Each question has been  randomly assigned as one of 6 "room", "Weapon", or "suspect" questions.  (And they will appear in a random order).\

So whoever gets the question right will see either a "room" button , "weapon" button, or a "Suspect" button.  Press that button and six possible murderers/weapons/locations will appear.

The player who got the question right will then choose one of those six (and it's removed from the game).   If it's the correct choice, you score a "Cleudo" for 100 points.  If not, it's worth points anywhere from 10 to 60 Points I think, and you clicked the score box of whomever picked that card.

Click on the score box under the detective to add that to their score.   If it's a "cluedo", then one of three "lights' (I wanted magnifying glasses, but I didn't see any graphics for that I liked) turn on in the upper left corner.

You then click the next q.. all the cards you haven't chose disappear, and a new q and three new choices appear, and the game continues with another question that could be either the same question-type or it could be different.  (again, there are six of each type and are shuffled).

If the first Cleudo is found you score 100 points for that Cluedo, any points found before the next Cluedo are doubled.   So even if the Weapon Cluedo is found and there are still weapons left, they're worth 2x the points (as are any current room and suspect cards).

After the second Cluedo is found it's worth 200 points, the second light goes on and all remaining non-cluedo cards are now triple their points.

Once the third Cluedo is found, it's 300 points, the 3rd light comes on, and the game officially ends, and the highest score wins.

This was one of my audience's favorite games originally, because instead of graphics, I used to use just text boxes for the Room/Weapon/Suspects, and I'd use my friends personalities for those.  For instance, i have a streaming friend, who's streaming name is Ron Mexico and he's a chef..so I'd have Ron as one of the suspects, a cheese grater as a weapon, and the Kitchen as one of the rooms.... and he knew those three were designed for him.

It got to the point though where the text boxes just looked blase, so I swapped them out for some actual Clue cards  {Hello Bing Images! *Grin*} (although I may at some point change them to graphics of  people I know..).  This was one of those games that could be over in 3 questions or it could go the full 18.  (I think it usually ended up running about 12 to 17 questions per usage)

This one I don't think i can upload other than for people to look at the VBA code and the animations, because the array of questions/answers would wipe itself out on the download..  This is one I'll try to do the file upload and the presentation upload later ( I'll have to remove the hardcoded question location for anyone to set it up and run it.)

It did have one flaw though.. and it's a powerpoint flaw that has never been explained to me.. but sometimes it would not produce the last couple of lines of a question on the presentation.    Someone once told me that it happens based on how many animations are in a presentation, but I don't know if that's true or not.

I wanted to put an animated Inspector Clouseau, Holmes, or Poirot right above the "next Q" box just to give it a humourous character during the game, and maybe a better background, but I always liked the blood red background for this one.   But mechanics wise and even VBA-wise it was very simple to put together.
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

Re: Trying to figure out if people will kill me for 1 of these almost every night :)

on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 pm
No, we won't kill you for posting one game a night. Post away, we love seeing what you've done!

This game looks like fun. Great job creating a gameshow version of Clue!
ListWits
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Re: Trying to figure out if people will kill me for 1 of these almost every night :)

on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 pm
rusnakcreative wrote:No, we won't kill you for posting one game a night. Post away, we love seeing what you've done!

This game looks like fun. Great job creating a gameshow version of Clue!

Best thing about the site, Rusnak.. is you kinda got my creative juices flowing again in getting some of the graphics updated on these.  I've always been a 'nuts and bolts' kinda guy... so once it was working mechanically, is everything else was just extra stuff that I'd get around to.

Now that I've seen John's Yahtzee and his suggestion on the flyout/flyin (and teh one armed bandit).. i'm so wanting to work on my High Rollers and my Joker's Wild ones now...

And even that short discussion we had about Lingo has had me trying to figure out the logic bug on that one Smile

But the Clue graphics I finished in just about 3 hours, and has me thinking what do I need to play with next of my 129 different games (working and non-working, good and bad.).. Yes, I did a count, and that's not counting ones I want to work on that I've really got to work on the mechanics of that I haven't started on.  (I Really need to find someone who got a video clip of Fuse! recorded -  Why do the Brits have more fun game shows than Americans for the most part???  I miss Tomson-Goodwin combination)

Tomorrow I may show off the only game I've ever done based on a Japanese game show (yes, they actually have trivia shows that don't involve ridiculous stunts...) but i really want to look over the Othello/Reversi game that John's posted before I do it to see if it'll help on my clean up.
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:51 pm
Glad to hear you've caught the creative inspiration bug!

Might I suggest trying to focus on one (or two) games at a time. There are some productivity apps out there that can help you keep all your ideas organized, and keep yourself focused on one task at a time. It sure beats having several dozen half-built ideas that may overwhelm you. (This is something that I do plan on starting myself, but I'm also notorious for putting things off!)
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm
My goodness! So nice to be starting a new career as a detective - I'm honoured!

The weird thing for me here is that a couple of days ago I started to think about how I could create a version of Cluedo on PowerPoint. Spooky. It wouldn't be a question / gameshow approach as  I don't do VBA. I'm thinking more of a search / find approach using my beloved 'Slide background fill' with possibilities of a two player game like Guess Who or maybe Battleships - who knows, it's still in 'germ' mode at the moment.

As far as us Brits having more fun gameshows, I always thought that we nicked (stole) all our gameshows from you Yanks Wink

Finally, just to put the record straight, Othello/Reversi are Rusnakcreative's (Mike's) brilliant games - not mine (unfortunately).
GamesByTim
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
https://www.gamesbytim.com/

on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:18 pm
Man, Cluedo sounds great. The graphics look pleasing, and the idea of using using your players as the suspects makes this a lot more engaging.

This is fascinating. I'm learning about more interesting game shows because of your posts.
ListWits
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:43 pm
i got to thinking about the Clue game as a legitimate game... I think it might work if you go for it John..

and I'll admit it used to be you stole the game shows from us.. but I know WWTBAM, Weakest Link, Deal or No Deal, Countdown, Bank Job (which I have, and will show off at some point) and again, my fave Secret Fortune are all European inventions.

We had that huge gap in great TV shows and then everything just kinda flip-flopped..
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:42 pm
Now you mention it, you might have a point.

What about 3-2-1? Was that yours, or was it the French? I hope it was the French.

A thought just struck me... You, Mike and Tim are absolutely brilliant at reproducing existing games and gameshows on PPT. Have you ever thought about attacking this the other way round and making an original game on PPT that could become a TV gameshow blockbuster?

Something we could do between us perhaps?
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 pm
That's the tricky part about coming up with an original game idea, finding the right game show formula for fun. It's much easier to replicate what's existing and proven to be fun. With that said, it would be a nice idea if we did come up with the next big game sensation that originated from PowerPoint.
ListWits
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm
As rusnak said.. Its always easier to have a template to work off of.. The tough part is in todays world is the in thing of "reality" tv. (At least on this side of the pond) and not game shows.. After Wwtbam hit our shores we had a ton of people try to make new game shows, but test audiences shot almost all down.. The only ones that survived were recreations (Pyramid. Jokers wild, match game) When Secret Fortune and Pointless rebuilds get killed by studios, theres very little hope for a new "gane show return" over here
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:35 pm
Going back to the Cluedo / Clue theme, I'v just posted some information and a video of the game I finished today. MURDER IN HORYD HOUSE
ListWits
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:54 pm
See what happens with the right motivation, John? Smile     I'm claiming the Motivation Award of the Day Smile
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:54 pm
ListWits wrote:As rusnak said.. Its always easier to have a template to work off of..  The tough part is in todays world is the in thing of "reality" tv. (At least on this side of the pond) and not game shows..

Now that's an interesting idea . . . using the "reality" show format for a PowerPoint experience (not sure if I want to call that a "game?")
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum