PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

Go down
GamesByTim
GamesByTim
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
https://www.gamesbytim.com/

I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames! Empty I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames!

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:48 pm
I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames! GamesByTim

A name change?

That's right! GamesByTim is my new username. I also have a new domain: gamesbytim.com!

When I launched my site back in 2011, I focused on PowerPoint games, which I referred to as "slideshow games." Thus, I used the name Tim's Slideshow Games. Now that I'm transitioning from PowerPoint to HTML5 games, keeping the "slideshow" in the name doesn't make as much sense.

Meanwhile, I wanted to buy a domain name for my site. I could have registered slideshowgames.com, but I thought to myself, "is this name still worth keeping?" After all, real money was on the line. The calling was there; time for a new name.

Why Games by Tim?

Glad you asked. A new name isn't something to take lightly, so rest assured; I thought this one out.

• Most people remember this site by my name.

When I talk to others about my site, they seem to remember the "Tim" part more than the "Slideshow Games." Fairly often, I'd hear something like, "Oh yeah, I remember the games Tim made. What was the site called again? Slide what?"

While this is by no means scientific, I have a feeling the "slideshow" flies past most people's heads. Quite troubling if the site URL is slideshowgames.blogspot.com. By placing my name front and square, I believe more people will recall how to refer to my site.

• Less characters in the name

The URL "slideshowgames.com" takes 18 characters to type. "gamesbytim.com" on the other hand takes 14 characters. The less typing the better.

Less characters also means I have more flexibility with my logo. If I'm in a tight situation, I could safely display the logo as two lines:

I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames! GamesByTim2Rows

• It represents me better.

My name is Tim. I make games. Here are games by me. It's that simple.

What happens now?

If you have any bookmarks or attributions to my previous URL, I highly recommend switching them to gamesbytim.com. That's because if, hypothetically, I migrate away from Blogger, gamesbytim.com will be my only way to take people to the new site.

I also have to update all my active projects to say Games by Tim instead of Tim's Slideshow Games. That will take some time.

And just because I'm lessening my focus on PowerPoint doesn't mean I'm leaving PowerPoint Creative. PowerPoint remains my legacy, and I still look forward to see what you guys can do post my PowerPoint projects converted to the Web.

See you around!

~GamesByTim
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames! Empty Re: I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames!

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 pm
I like the new name change and rebranding Tim. Keeping it short and simple really does make you stand out even more. I wish you the best of luck on your new journey with HTML5 and look forward to what you can create!
GamesByTim
GamesByTim
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
https://www.gamesbytim.com/

I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames! Empty Re: I'm GamesByTim, formerly TimsSlideshowGames!

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 am
Thanks for the feedback, rusnakcreative!

(Man, it feels weird for my username to appear at the beginning of the online users list.)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum