PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

Go down
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

game - Evolution Game (discontinued) Empty Evolution Game (discontinued)

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:18 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
I was planning to make a demo/prototype for an evolution-themed game but managing the animations and triggers got too complicated since I wasn't using VBA.

The gameplay is simple. Every round, there is an extinction event (e.g. global warming). You can adapt to the situation by selecting a trait from 2 random choices. Or you can select a random wild card. Here's a video showing multiple rounds of adaptation/mutation.

If your traits allow you to survive the current event, then you proceed to the next round, where you encounter another extinction event and get to choose a new trait. The traits accumulate and some traits that may have helped you in previous rounds may cause you to lose in future rounds so it's really up to chance (just like in real life!). The goal is to survive five rounds.

As I previously mentioned, it got too complicated (it has ~600 animations in one slide!) and I thought maybe it was too random and not fun. So I'm posting it here in case anyone wants to pick this up. Link to the pptx file here.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

game - Evolution Game (discontinued) Empty Re: Evolution Game (discontinued)

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:23 am
The evolution theme is a really interesting concept - and I love your graphics! It's certainly given me something to think about for a potential future game.

Thanks for posting.
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:20 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Thank you! I'd like to see your take on this concept. I'm currently learning and experimenting with VBA so I might revive this project in the future.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 am
If you are interested in experimenting with VBA, then I'm sure you'll get some support from other members like rusnakcreative and ListWits who have a great deal of expertise with it. I don't use VBA. I tend to slog through hundreds, sometimes thousands, of animations and triggers!
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:27 am
I've recently finished tutorials provided by rusnakcreative and currently experimenting though I might only use VBA sparingly. I still find accomplishing complex mechanics without VBA to be astonishing!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum