PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

GamesByTim
GamesByTim
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
https://www.gamesbytim.com/

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 Empty Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game

Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

Project Screenshot

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 WoFPPTScreenshot

Project Title

Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim

Project Type

Game

Project Description

Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint lets you host your own Wheel of Fortune games with your own puzzles. It's great for your next party, class activity, social gathering, or video chat!

• Create limitless puzzles with the built-in editor.
  • Invite 2-4 contestants/teams.
  • Easily keep score with the Value Panel and dedicated buy vowel/transfer totals buttons.
  • Play multiple rounds from the game show, such as the Toss-Up and Bonus round.
  • Spin the included wheels, or use your own. It's up to you!
  • Animate the stage, and toggle the backdrop of your choice.
  • Open-source VBA so you know this is safe to use

Compatible with PowerPoint 2010 or newer for Windows, and PowerPoint 2016 or newer for Mac. When prompted, you'll need to enable active content and/or macros for the game to work properly. Wheel of Fortune will NOT work on PowerPoint Viewer because it doesn't support active content.

Wheel graphics created by MarioGS/wheelgenius, used with permission.

Download Link

Download the latest version at gamesbytim.com

Older versions available here

Release Date

January 1, 2012

Updated Date

November 6, 2023

Version Number

Version 6.4

Additional Media

Last edited by GamesByTim on Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:27 am; edited 27 times in total (Reason for editing : Update for version 6.4)

rusnakcreative and ZeePG like this post

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

GamesByTim
I opted to remove the white spots pixel by pixel. This is my final result (not perfect, but pretty close):

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 Woflog10

I've applied this adjustment to the release candidate (now with revision date January 5, 2018).
johnr
That must have been like dropping a bag of rice then picking up each grain with a pair of tweezers! Very Happy 

Looks good now and will match the professional look of everything else.
GamesByTim
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pmGamesByTim
Version 4.0 final is finally here! Screenshots and download links have been updated.

Comprehensive release notes from version 3.2

New video guide

GamesByTim
Well, there's always that one part of the game I forget to test. As such, version 4.0.1 is here with the following fixes:

• [FIX (Mac only)] The buy vowel and transfer totals buttons now work properly with large money values. The Windows version was not affected.
  • [FIX] Adds an error message if a user sets the vowel price or house minimum beyond the maximum integer value.
  • [CHANGE] If a user attempts to load a puzzle when none exist, a new message box guides the user to the Set Up Puzzles editor.

I would like to thank Marius Benadie from YouTube for helping me identify the Mac buy vowel/transfer totals bug.

Version 4.0.1 was re-released a few hours after this post to adjust the performance of the puzzle existence code.
Chiffon
Hey Tim, I think this game is amazing! 

Please excuse me if this is a dumb comment as I'm very new to all this - but if you want to edit the white out of the logo - is there is a reason you're not just doing it in photoshop? Something like this would probably take about 30 min max to clean up. But I am totally happy to be corrected if that's not an option! 

Please keep up the good work and inspiring us newbies!Smile
GamesByTim
Chiffon wrote:Hey Tim, I think this game is amazing! 

Please excuse me if this is a dumb comment as I'm very new to all this - but if you want to edit the white out of the logo - is there is a reason you're not just doing it in photoshop? Something like this would probably take about 30 min max to clean up. But I am totally happy to be corrected if that's not an option! 

Please keep up the good work and inspiring us newbies!Smile
I don't have Photoshop, so I looked for other ways to remove the white out of the logo. Nothing I found was able to remove all the white with just a magic eraser tool, so I went on to remove the white spots pixel by pixel instead. As of now, i don't plan to revisit this part of the logo, but if you want to continue editing the logo until every single white spot is gone without compromise, I won't be against that.

Glad to hear that you found this project to be inspiring.
Chiffon
Hey Tim,

I think I missed the second page of the thread, so ignore me!!! 

But if you have something like this in the future that needs a little photoshop help, let me know - that's one I can probably help with!

Keep making amazing games and sharing them!!! Smile Smile Smile
GamesByTim
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pmGamesByTim
Version 4.1 is here, and it comes with refinements and a feature originally planned for the 4.0 release.

What's Changed

• Puzzle Swapping
    Created a puzzle in slot 1 but want to move it to slot 3 instead? Now you can with the new puzzle swap feature. In the Show All Puzzles slide, use the new arrow buttons to sort your puzzles to your liking.

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 PuzzleSwap

• Macro Checking
    Many users have told me that Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint doesn't work. Almost every time, it's because they unknowingly had macros disabled.

To save each of us the trouble, Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint now checks if macros are enabled. If a user clicks on any of the title slide buttons with macros disabled, a alert box will appear with a link to the macro troubleshooting post.

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 WoFMacroDisabled

• Refinements
    - Multiple alignment fixes
    - Grammar fixes for round explanations
    - The trashcan in Set Up Puzzles now animates when clicked
    - Fixes a bug that prevented editing the vowel price or house minimum on the first try

Moving Forward

As I mentioned before, I want to transition this project from PowerPoint to the Web. This means at some point, you will be able to create and play Wheel of Fortune games straight from your Web browser.

As such, Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint is now in maintenance mode. I will work on bug fixes and refinements if need be, but don't expect any more features until the Web version arrives (which will take a while).

I greatly look forward to the Web release, and I hope you do too. For now, I hope you enjoy this new PowerPoint release.
rusnakcreative
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:48 pmrusnakcreative
Nice updates, Tim!

I am excitedly waiting for your web release of wheel. Best of luck developing the web version!
GamesByTim
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 pmGamesByTim
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
It has come to my attention that the actual show received new wheel values as of April 2019, albeit a minor one.

Thus, this Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint update (v4.1.2) takes in the new wheel values.

Try the Web wheel demo!

As mentioned before, I'm working on a Web-based successor to Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint. Right now, you can test the new wheel, which contains numerous improvements over the PowerPoint counterpart. Click here to try the wheel (and complete the survey if you wish).
GamesByTim
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:45 pmGamesByTim
Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint is getting another feature update because the web version's a long ways away, and I want new features now.

Introducing Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint nightlies: rushed-out development builds that have not been tested. Expect many bugs, especially since I haven't touched VBA for a long while. Only the Windows version will receive nightlies, as I'd rather not spend time on the Mac port. (The final release will support Mac, though.)

These nightlies are exclusive to PowerPoint Creative. Make sure to follow this topic if you want the latest updates; it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

---

Today's nightly focuses on the wheel mechanism. The previous mechanism was a nightmare to work on because I had to rewire all the animations each time I wanted to change a wedge, and each "wheel" had 2 wheels stacked on top of each other. The new mechanism is far simpler. It now takes one click instead of two to spin, and instead of predefined triggers, it utilizes VBA to add a wheel spin animation with a random rotation. The result? A wheel far more pleasant to look at and maintain (almost up to par with the web wheel demo).

It can also display what value the wheel landed on. That's right; no more squinting on the arrow when it looks lodged between 2 wedges!

The new mechanism uses VBA incompatible with PowerPoint 2007. As such, PowerPoint 2007 is no longer supported. So is PowerPoint 2011 for Mac, as I can no longer test for it since upgrading to macOS Catalina.

Download here

UPDATE: This nightly has been re-uploaded with bug fixes.
rusnakcreative
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:13 amrusnakcreative
Really nice wheel, Tim! Would you mind if I borrow parts of your wheel function for a future update for mine?
Jarek
This Wheel is really nice.
And I still play Tim's HTML Bingo...
GamesByTim
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:04 pmGamesByTim
rusnakcreative wrote:Really nice wheel, Tim! Would you mind if I borrow parts of your wheel function for a future update for mine?

Yup, go ahead! I'm interested to see how you'll pull off your new wheel. Very Happy

Jarek wrote:This Wheel is really nice.
And I still play Tim's HTML Bingo...

Thanks! Great to hear that you use Bingo Master Board!

- - -

Want more than 12 puzzles in Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint? Now you can with today's nightly. What's the limit? There is none!

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 Somany10

Simply click the arrows next to the puzzle numbers to add more puzzles. Make as many puzzles as you want, or until PowerPoint crashes, whichever comes first!

Download here

UPDATE: Re-upload with a bug fix

rusnakcreative likes this post

Last edited by GamesByTim on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bug fix)
GamesByTim
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 pmGamesByTim
Another nightly before I go to bed!

This nightly adds additional settings to customize your wheel experience.

• You can now disable the $10,000 wedge if that's not your jam.
  • You can now adjust the wheel values to the current values ($500 minimum) or the classic values ($300 minimum). I personally prefer the classic values as it has a wider variety of numbers.
  • You can now toggle the gift tag in case you want to offer additional prizes for your next Wheel game. This is disabled by default.

You'll also notice that the top of the puzzle board looks a bit different. The "Wheel of Fortune" button has been replaced with a new HUD, which I'll explore its use in a future nightly.

Download here.
GamesByTim
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:58 pmGamesByTim
Today's nightly lets you add a fourth player to the game!

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 Wof4pl10

This is by far the most requested feature since initial release, and I'm happy to say that your fourth buddy can now join in the fun!

You'll also notice a new button in the title slide that switches the slide show to windowed mode. This is useful for broadcasting the game during a Zoom meeting.

Download here.

Jarek
For now the Wheel of Fortune is an unheard of game in Poland.
Interesting...
GamesByTim
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:32 pmGamesByTim
Today's nightly solves one of the largest pain points of Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint: scorekeeping.

Introducing the value panel (previously called the HUD in a earlier nightly note). The value panel holds the scored amount based on letters found and the spun wheel value.

puzzle - Wheel of Fortune for PowerPoint - Games by Tim - Game - Page 2 Wofval10

In the above example, someone landed on $600 and found 2 letters in the puzzle, worth $1200. Just click on a player's round score to automatically add $1200 to their score. No more mental math or annoying input boxes!

Not using the bulit-in wheels? Not a problem. Click the value panel to manually insert the wheel values your players land on!

There's also a Final Spin button that'll automatically add $1000 per consonant in the value panel!

In addition to the value panel, the How to Use and About/Credits slides have been updated. You'll also notice that the "Run slide show in a window" button is gone because I didn't like how it functioned after testing. I've instead listed the play in a window idea in the new "Tips and Tricks" slide.

Download here.

rusnakcreative
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:52 pmrusnakcreative
Nice subliminal shout out, Tim!

GamesByTim likes this post

GamesByTim
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 amGamesByTim
Today's nightly contains a change that seems minor on the surface but adds a key feature to the game.

All lit puzzle tiles, regardless if they're white or blue, will now reveal its letter when clicked. This adjustment, combined with manually setting a value in the Value Panel, allows for unofficial toss-up support. Finally, the ability to play a complete Wheel of Fortune game!

Yes, you'll need to be a bit more careful when revealing puzzle letters, but considering the puzzle board tiles are way bigger than the Letter Selector letters, I don't foresee this as a major issue.

Speaking of the Letter Selector, the letter hit boxes slightly increased in size to reduce the chance of misclicks. This means I have to retake the How to Use screenshots (ugh), which I'll take care of in a later release.

In addition, all message boxes now have titles. The VBA is also Option Explicit compatible.

Download here.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum