PowerPoint Creative

Go down
AndreVanDelft
AndreVanDelft
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Hello All! Empty Hello All!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:19 pm
My name André van Delft and I live in The Netherlands. I may be the oldest here: I was born in 1960. I have studied mathematics; I do research and development in programming languages and every now and then I make some money with software development.

During the last 6 years I used Mac Keynote for my R&D presentations. See subscript-lang.org/presentations/. But I am returning to PowerPoint now. I will use a tool named SlideMight that I developed myself, with a friend from Ukraine. SlideMight merges data with a PowerPoint file, like Mail Merge does for Microsoft Word. I will write a bit more about it in the Other PowerPoint Creativity section. Anyway, here is the web shop: www.slidemight.com

SlideMight was mainly programmed in Scala. The GUI controller is programmed in SubScript, which is the main result of my R&D in programming languages. SubScript extends Scala with features that are based on a theory named the Algebra of Communicating Processes (ACP). 35 Years ago ACP has been conceived; yet SlideMight may be the first commercial application in the world to apply it.

Ciao for now,

André
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

Hello All! Empty Re: Hello All!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm
Hello André and welcome to PPC!

Slidemight looks like a neat program! How would someone like myself develop a program like that, who knows a bit of VBA? I am interested in trying to branch out from just macros, but make an attempt with add-ins and programs.

I, and I'm sure many others, would be interested to see what else you have crafted, PowerPoint and anything else you'd like to share!
AndreVanDelft
AndreVanDelft
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:19 pm
Thanks Mike!

I started on SlideMight because an organization I worked for as a freelancer needed that functionality, and I found some more market demand.
Probably I could not have made it in VBA, for 2 reasons:

• I have little experience in VBA
  • The SlideMight code does a lot; much more than the functionality suggest; IMO it would be too much for VBA.

For now I'd recommend to take a look at the manual. It is a PPT file, generated using SlideMight itself. I like the combination of main stuff in the slides and details in the notes, but I don't know how others feel. When updating the manual I am quite happy that I can focus on the text, without bothering about layout. And this YAML format works great; I had not heard of it half a year ago.

SlideMight also accepts XML data, and it may slurp images specified by URLs. I intend to create as a demonstration a presentation from this real estate broker feed: http://xml.propspace.com/feed/xml.php?cl=1604&pid=9922&acc=1154
Hopefully I'll have time for it in a few weeks.
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 pm
I'll definitely check that out then!

I have two tutorials to get you started with VBA, and plan on doing more in the near future. You can also check out the Games section to see a couple macro-enabled games from PPC Members (including mine) to see macros in action. Ever play Othello or Reversi in PowerPoint?
AndreVanDelft
AndreVanDelft
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm
No, I never played that. Just one hour ago I did not even know PowerPoint games exist!

What I would like to learn:

How can I make an image slider AKA rotating banner AKA sequence banner on a single slide?
I have tried to make one for only 2 images, but I failed.
Would VBA be required for this?
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 pm
PPT Games are a thing, mostly used for training or education purposes (think Jeopardy or Millionaire) and some of us want to try to make PPT as an actual gaming platform because of it's ease of use and wide availability. You could make games right now without the need to code VBA (just use custom animations, triggers, hyperlinks for example.) I see it as a challenge to come up with fun playable games within the limitations of PowerPoint, and I'm not alone.

As for your image slider/rotating banner, it'll depend on several factors:
- how long will you be on this single slide?
- how many images?
- will you need to add/replace images periodically?

One idea I have is you could create an animated gif with your images you'd like to rotate, and then simply insert that gif as is and the gif will rotate on itself.
AndreVanDelft
AndreVanDelft
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm
I would like the same effect as the rotating images on many blogs, or on the SlideMight web shop.

So the answers:

• any duration
  • 2 or more
  • no

The animated gif would be a fall back solution; I guess SlideMight would be able to generate it.
However, it would be better when the SlideMight user starts with 1 (?) or 2 images on top of one another in the pattern file (i.e. the input presentation, much like a template). So the user can define & preview any animation effects on that image(s). SlideMight will then generate something similar for probably a larger sequence of images.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:44 pm
Sorry, I've come in a little late on this thread although Andre and I have corresponded before on my India photos post.

I'm in the PPT as a gaming platform school, although I did get into this via PPT as a platform for producing e-learning. Unfortunately I'm not VBA literate despite Rusnakcreative's best efforts!

Unless I've got the wrong idea about what you are looking for with regard to scrolling banners / images, there's a method I've used before to have a continuous scrolling of text or images. (I've used it for trees and bushes along either side of a road to give the illusion of driving down it).

Apologies if this has nothing to do with your issue, but I think it will prompt me to do a more detailed tutorial for anyone wanting to make a car racing game or text scrolling as described in the screenshot below. I'd be interested to hear if it does or doesn't have any bearing.

By the way, you may or may not be pleased to know that you are not the oldest person on this forum (I'll say no more!!)

Hello All! SCROLLING_TEXT
AndreVanDelft
AndreVanDelft
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm
Thank you. I managed to reproduce the rolling banner, also with images.
I also set "repeat to end of slide".

However, I would like for the images to have the following options:

• Fading etc. instead of fly in/fly out
  • A duration between the effects for just showing the images

Like on https://www.shopify.com/  (wait a few seconds).
Would that be possible? Maybe with some VBA?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum