Go down
GamesByTim
GamesByTim
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
https://www.gamesbytim.com/

Office 2019 Empty Office 2019

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:44 am
With Microsoft beginning to announce the next version of Microsoft Office, I figured it'd be good for us to discuss what Office 2019 means for the future of PowerPoint and the entire suite itself.

What we know about Office 2019 so far

• It will be available as a one-time purchase.
  • It will require Windows 10.
  • The client apps will only be available as a Click to Run installation.
  • Rather than ten years, Office 2019 will be supported for about seven years instead. Office 2019's EOL is at the same date as Office 2016's.
  • The preview will arrive during Q2 2018.
  • The final version will be released during the second half of 2018.

Source

While we don't know for sure what's new in Office 2019 until the preview, Microsoft has mentioned this snippet in the Office blog:

Office 2019 will add new user and IT capabilities for customers who aren’t yet ready for the cloud. For example, new and improved inking features—like pressure sensitivity, tilt effects, and ink replay—will allow you to work more naturally. New formulas and charts will make data analysis for Excel more powerful. Visual animation features—like Morph and Zoom—will add polish to PowerPoint presentations. Server enhancements will include updates to IT manageability, usability, voice, and security.

What I wonder about Office 2019

• Since Office 365 added features to Office 2016 since it initially released, I wonder if Office 2019 will be a snapshot of what Office 365 currently is, or if there will be more significant changes.
  • With Microsoft shortening the lifecycle of Office 2019 to the same date as Office 2016, I can't help but wonder why they're doing this. Microsoft claims that "it has become imperative to move our software to a more modern cadence," but is there another meaning to this?
  • Will Office 2019 be worth the upgrade? Of course we won't know until the preview arrives, but it's still something to think about.

What do you think about what's announced for Office 2019 so far? Do you plan to download the preview in a few months? Are you considering upgrading to this release (or are you already on Office 365)?
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Office 2019 Empty Re: Office 2019

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm
I've been on Office 365 for a couple of years now. As with most things it's got plusses and minuses.

On the plus side the 'new' features publicised for PPT 2019 include 'Morph' transistions and 'Zoom'. These have both been automatically added to PowerPoint in my Office 365 already. My 'Jayar's Cubes' game would have looked very different without the Morph transitions between the slides which made the cubes appear to 'roll' from one position to the next. I haven't tried anything with Zoom yet. It's also got better (easier) graphics features like shape intersect and eyedropper for colour matching

However, on the minus side, if I want to anything with lots of animation (which invariably I do) 2016 in Office 365 really struggles. I had 2010 prior to 2016/365 and was going to uninstall it after installing 365. I'm so glad I didn't. In PPT 2016/365, the more animations you make, the slower it gets. I've counted 7 - 8 seconds for an action like re-ordering a single animation to complete which gets really frustrating when you've got 20 or more animations to re-order. When it gets to that situation I'll save what I've done then re-open it in 2010 where every action's completed immediately.

The analogy for me is that 2016/365 is a highly strung, thoroughbred racehorse that spooks easily whereas 2010 is a solid dependable less-refined workhorse that just plods on and on. (Never used 2013 so can't comment on what kind of horse this version is).
thanhvo123
thanhvo123
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 pm
I'm already on Office 365 for a year now.
ListWits
ListWits
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
http://dasaintfan1.wixsite.com/listwits

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 pm
*Stares at the topic title *and the goes into convulsions (and is glad this was an old topic Smile ) .. .it's hard enough dealing with all sort of law offices that can't decide whether to use W7, XP, 8.1, or 10... and those tools, and now you want to put Office 2019 in my list?

SOMEONE GET MY SHOTGUN.. I'm hunting Tims!!  Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum