PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

ListWits
ListWits
Featured Creator
Featured Creator
http://dasaintfan1.wixsite.com/listwits

game - Countdown game sample... Empty Countdown game sample...

Message reputation : 89% (9 votes)
Hey guys,

So i figured i'd throw one of my pride and joys up here for you guys to mock and make fun of Smile

But it's based on the UK Gameshow Countdown (also Known in France as "Letters and Numbers").   I think this was the first one I actually put some studio graphics to, in order to pretty it up

I run mine on my Twitch stream,  so they're usually not as need or graphically oriented as the ones I've seen on here... .   Such as the the black boxes on here are actually for scorekeeping purposes.  (so they're not labelled for users at the moment - but it's simply players/scores)

"Letters" Round:   Players basically put nine "consonants" and "vowels", which the presentation picks at random, with a weighted system so that letters like Q, X, and Z shouldn't come up as often (not to say they don't, and the players hate them *grin*).   The players then have 30 seconds to come up with the longest word they can of only the letters on the board, and score based on how long their words are.

game - Countdown game sample... 2i088x5

The black bars are for scoring purposes..  When a new player joins, click on the left boxes of each pair, and I add names via pop-up boxes.   Click on the right, and it actually does the math for the scores for me (4 letters = 4 more points, etc.)

game - Countdown game sample... 14brfog

Click the "Start the Countdown" timer, and watch 'em panic to spell as long of a word as they can...

"Numbers" Round:     The players pick six random tiles (the 4 at the top are  either 25, 50, 75,  or 100), while all the remaining numbers are numbers between 1-9.    The computer than actually comes up with a number that can be reached by using all 6 of the numbers in a mathematical equation and the players have 30 seconds to get as close as they can to match the final total.  (Usually a lot easier than the computer's solution).     The fun part is the rule I give them that order of operations doesn't actually apply and it's all left to right... They learn how to use parenthesis a LOT Smile )

game - Countdown game sample... 2dkahyu

"Conundrum" Round:   The host of the presentation has to pick a nine letter word (it pops up in an Input Box), and then the computer randomizes the letters for the remaining players to try to figure out.

game - Countdown game sample... 211nt5l

I know mine have a few more "loopholes" in them, because you can't believe how many times i start a game and someone wants to jump in later (thus I have the ability to have 10 players to start instead of just the usual 2)

Countdown Game Show

(Just one of about 80 variations of game shows I've worked on...)

Resources Norteamericano likes this post

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

rusnakcreative
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:46 pmrusnakcreative
Impressive work! I don't think I've seen a Countdown game ever attempted in PowerPoint, nicely done! Downloading now and will check it out in a bit
johnr
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 amjohnr
Hi ListWits - Welcome aboard!!

Wow! I downloaded this game about 45 minutes ago and was hooked! I spent most time on the word game because I'm rubbish with numbers and each math game would have taken me about 3 hours to get to the answer. I can't imagine the amount of background work that must have gone into this. I have gladly given you a 'like'.

The only thing I noticed was that the version of the game I downloaded was not in 'kiosk mode' so that if I inadvertantly clicked on a non-active part of the screen, I would jump to the next slide. Conversely, I was waiting to move on from the opening title clip (copyright?) but nothing happened until I clicked somewhere, i.e. no 'next' or 'play' buttons. (Same thing with the Rules and moving from Word to Math game). It might have been me being dumb, so apologies if I missed something.
ListWits
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:01 pmListWits
John.. most of mine I run myself during live streaming, as I don't include a lot of "next" or "play" buttons on mine, as I know where the timing for them are, so I don't put them in Kiosk mode.    Yeah, it's pretty 'bad' in terms of when I've shared them out (This is the only one I have that players actually have requested for someone for me to personally send them, as rusak said, they've never seen a Countdown game down in Powerpoint, so they were thrilled).

I've never been yelled at for the opening clip breaking copyright (so I always have to hope the producers are thrilled that one was made of their game Smile )
rusnakcreative
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:43 pmrusnakcreative
Also, if you are running in Kiosk mode and sitting idle for 5 minutes, the slideshow will automatically restart itself back to the first slide. I can see that as being problematic for your gameshow format on twitch.

What you could do is select all slides, go to the transitions tab, and turn off the advance by click option. No need for kiosk mode, and no accidentally advancing the next slide.
GamesByTim
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:03 amGamesByTim
Never heard of this game show, but it was easy to learn thanks to your well-written documentation.

Overall a solid experience. That's got to be intuitive for those who have heard of the show before, and the challenges were fun, yet devilish. I was initially confused about why the timer stopped in the middle of the clock, but then I realized it's 30 seconds, and the actual show does this too. I also agree with rusnakcreative and johnr's thoughts about accidental clicking to the next slide.

I am curious about the decision to use a window rather than fullscreen in slideshow mode. Never seen anyone do that before!
ListWits
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:56 amListWits
Tim, I run it in window mode because of obs software and window capturing and the fact that my home pc only has one monitor/tv... and I have to control the slideshow and about 4 other windows all at one time..
johnr
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:07 amjohnr
On a bit of a tangent....

There are two versions of Countdown in the UK. One is the proper version played by members of the public, and is all very serious. The other is a version played by various stand-up comics and comedians called '8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown'. There are tons of You Tube clips of the latter. As you'll see, after the 9:00pm watershed, you can say almost anything on UK TV. I recommend a search on You Tube as long as you're ok with, and prepared for, British humour and strong language.

I won't post a clip here because it would almost certainly break our language rules.
ListWits
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 amListWits
Hehe.. "Almost" its more like. .when will it break the language rules... I caught the gingerbread epusofe a day or two before.. Those were lethal weapons
Carlie
Sat May 16, 2020 7:20 amCarlie
Does anybody still have the link to these slides?
ListWits
Sun May 17, 2020 4:46 pmListWits
Carlie,

Give me a bit of time, and I can zip them up and send them...  I need to double check, as it's still currently programmed to my One Drive location, but I can fix that.  ( I need to review the conundrum bit to have the computer choose the 9 letter word, but that's still "user driven")

UPDATE:   The PPTM file can be found here.   Let me know if it gives you any hassles

I added a couple of arrows for forward/back slides,  and turned off the "transition - on click" (I forgot about that, so now it can be run full screen / kiosk (and fixed a conundrum bug where you could enter words too short/long).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uxRKBOyx9ZKX0-zY9u4B03QXBnqG912n/view?usp=sharing

Kraw22 likes this post

Kraw22
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:07 amKraw22
Hey - I am unable to download the countdown game any chance I can still get access to it?

This is super cool I really love it!!!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum