PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

Go down
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Tanks & Towers - Regular (17x17) Empty Tanks & Towers - Regular (17x17)

Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:48 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I've been quiet these few weeks working on a game inspired by the feedback with ideas from the forum on the Random Maze Generator. I used the arena type of setup.

My main concern was to develop a game which would make use of a maze forcing the player to navigate the maze during gameplay.

Tanks & Towers is a strategic 10 level game where the movement should be thought through ahead of time in relation to the board layout. Levels and game piece positioning are generated randomly. The fun part of the project was that I didn't use any shapes for the animations. Instead I'm playing with colors in a table: cell color, visibility, transparency and even cell font types, sizes, colours, etc. As it turned out tables in Powerpoint are pretty slow for shooters so please forgive me any mouse click response delay or lag when playing.

Ok, so I said "strategic" and now I'm saying "shooter". For thinkers there is strategy for negotiating the maze and setting up best positions. For action lovers there's shooting at towers which fire at you in any of the 4 directions relevant to your position. It's a battlefield!

Tanks & Towers - Regular (17x17) 110

Instructions on how to play are in the game.
I welcome your comments, questions or answers Very Happy

Download: Tanks&Towers
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Tanks & Towers - Regular (17x17) Empty Re: Tanks & Towers - Regular (17x17)

Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:05 am
I've been away for a week and have only just had the chance to play this.

I am really impressed by the concept and the technical skills used to make this game, although I haven't done very well playing it so far.

It took a few attempts to get to a burned tower before being shot. I could jump across one space to avoid getting shot, but not two. Eventually I did get to a burned tower and got some ammo but then, just as a thought I'd manoeuvred myself and timed it perfectly to shoot the tower from above, my tank fired to the right, not down. Then I got shot. I didn't know what direction I was facing. Is there any way to indicate which side I'm shooting from?

I'm also still uncertain about how the claymores work. I don't know what to do to collect and use them. (When I first saw the word 'claymore' I wondered how a medieval Scottish sword was going to be used!)

I think I need a bit more practice.
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:59 pm
Tips & tricks to become unbeatable at Tanks & Towers (especially for you, John):

1. It's not about speed it's about planning and coordination in time.
2. When going for a Tower hit first find a spot just next to the warning fire which always begins 1 cell away from the the Tower's direct hit line. 
3. Relax.
4. Sometimes you'll have to sacrifice a Claymore to blast your way through for the proper spot. Don't move into the direct firing line of any Tower from a distance further than 1 cell away. You'll probably get hit instantly.
5. When you need to destroy the walls around you to be able to move into position just click on the Claymore icon below the Down Arrow of the arrow pad. Any walls immediately around you will get blasted away. The amount of Claymores left is displayed on the Claymore icon itself. 
6. Destroying a tower: just after you hear the tower's shot fired and/or seeing the shot line next to where you're standing: 
           - click to move into the line of fire
           - click to move in the direction of the tower
           - click the fire button. 
You have ample time to do this so don't panic. It's not so much about speed as it is about being methodical. Concentrate on the pad to get your mouse clicks on the right fields in the right order. Make them sequential and keep looking at the pad, not the board. Shortly afterwards you should hear a satisfactory explosion of the Tower being destroyed followed with a second explosion of the walls surrounding it. 
7. You can breath now. 
8. To collect a Claymore: move into position next to a burned Tower. No walls should divide you or the tower - usually they're destroyed together with the Tower. If not, you can use a Claymore or find a route through the maze to reach the Tower from a side that has no wall. The idea is to save as many Claymores as possible for higher levels - the decision is yours. Next click in the direction of the Tower as if trying to run into it. You should then hear a hollow rumbling sound indicating you have collected an extra Claymore, there should appear a blue stripe on the Tower indicating you got its Claymore and the count on the Claymore icon should increase by 1. However, the Tower still remains as an obstacle in your path and you have to go around it often retracing your steps or blasting your way further on with Claymores.
9. Time for some tea. Or a sip on a pint.
10. Look around and assess how and where to move to avoid the lines of fire of the remaining Towers. Blast your way through walls with Claymores if necessary for the next best position next to the firing line of a given Tower, or find a suitable path through the maze to get there. Procede with points 5 & 6 above.

Main points to remember: 
           - plan ahead, always look where to position your tank next to a Tower's firing line before going for a hit
           - relax and remain methodically sequential in getting into the line of fire, moving in the direction of the Tower and firing at it
           - there is a lag on the mouse so don't try to be too quick with mouse clicks, but still quick enough, and 
              keep your mouse pointer motionless on the arrow pad when clicking

I have more Tips & Tricks for higher levels once you get to level 5.

You can watch the video below of how I play the smaller version of Tanks & Towers to get an idea.

Keep me posted on how your're doing - I'll gladly help with any questions you might have.

Last edited by Jarek on Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:36 am
Here's a video of me going through the first 4 levels of the Small version of Tanks & Towers, getting shot on level 3, starting from level 2 and still managing to collect enough Claymores to continue on higher levels. The small version is very similar to the regular version with a difference in board size. There are pauses to my movement when I'm calculating which way is best to go. Sometimes it's better to use up a Claymore to get a spot next to the Tower's firing line before firing back. I can collect Claymores from burned Towers either on the fly or I take out all Towers first and then do a round collecting Claymores. It's not worth using a Claymore to get a Claymore back - those hard to reach burned Towers I leave alone.

I'm using the free version of ThunderSoft's Screen Recorder so there is a blue watermark in the middle of the screen, but shouldn't be of a nuisance too much.

johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:47 am
Ah-Hah! The video really helps a lot. I can see now why my tank fired in the wrong direction!

I'm pretty busy at the moment finishing off a new Bingo game along with working on a commissioned artwork (a dog portrait) as well as trying to get to grips with acrylic pour painting - but I'll be getting back for another stab at this as soon as I can.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:25 am
One other thing, in case it might be of use, here's a link to some free open source screen recording software. Lots of recording options and no watermark. obsproject.com
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:10 am
Wow! You sure know how to keep busy. And sounds as a lot of fun along the way!

Thanks for the tip on the OBS Studio.

If you manage to get some photos or footage on acryl pour painting please PM me. I'm quite interested in the work and outcome. 

Have fun!

BTW: I updated Tanks & Towers, so maybe the updates will work a little better once you find some time to give them a try.

Tanks & Towers - update
Tanks & Towers - Small - update
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum