Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

KALEIDOSCOPE Empty KALEIDOSCOPE

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Hi John and All!

Thought I'd share something I came up with recently - totally by accident. I was making some templates in PowerPoint. For no reason at all I animated one of the templates and watched it spin slow circles. It was PowerPoint after all and not some overwhelming graphics program so I could spin & stuff to my heart's content. The template was spinning on top of another one that just happened to be in the background. To my amazement I noticed shapes forming like in the toy called kaleidoscope. 

KALEIDOSCOPE 1
I am happy to share what I came up with - a few simple templates which when spun simultaneously in opposite directions give a rough illusion of kaleidoscopic images. To me it was all about the fun I had designing the templates and trying them out. I hope to inspire and motivate you to try some of your own.

I'm linking a .ppsx file here. If anyone is interested in a .pptx file just write and I'll post it too.

KALEIDOSCOPE Kaleid11

The next step is to play with colour. Watch out for KALEIDOSCOPE 2!

Last edited by Yahretzky on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

KALEIDOSCOPE Empty Re: KALEIDOSCOPE

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:31 pm
Wow! Wow! WOW!!!

You have really stumbled upon something beautiful here! So simple, but so effective. And as you say, more development is possible with colour / changing colour/ Pulse animation - the world is your lobster! (English joke).

This approach is just crying out for a video tutorial.

Great to hear from you again and thanks so much for posting.
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 am
Taking your English joke seriously:
- you said "change colour and add pulse animation": is there a possibility to change colour? Better still: mid-fly? What's pulse animation and how can I try to apply it? 
- what app do you suggest to use for recording video tutorials?
Thanks for any advice.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm
Changing colour and pulse are 'Emphasis' animations. Just select your object > add animation > Emphasis ( or More Emphasis) animations and you'll see them. Just make sure you select via 'Add animation' so the original Spin animations remain in place. Experiment with animations and timings etc and you should get some interesting results.

I use software for recording what's on my screen, then some movie making software for editing and adding text / music etc.

Let me know if you think a joint venture would be worthwhile.
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 am
Thanks.
I'll do some experimenting with Emphasis and see how that works for my kaleidoscope.
As to recording videos of what's happening on-screen I'll check the web first for some free stuff. Making great looking videos like yours is a whole new branch of knowledge I don't need enter Smile
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 pm
Now THIS is why I love having this forum! I love having people like you share their awesome creations and pushing the limits of what you can do in PowerPoint.

Do you think you can put together a tutorial on how you were able to make a couple of those?

To really step this up, you could make it interactive! I noticed each slide has different layers of shapes. What if you could toggle a layer on or off with a button press? Or maybe change it's color with a button press? Or rotation direction or speed? You could have several buttons that run a trigger animation that would affect the main display. I can't wait to see what else you can do with this concept. LOVE IT!
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 am
Thanks for your kind words, Mike!

You just exceeded my bandwidth of ideas I can look into simultaneously with a stack overflow.

Yes - those are great ideas I will definitely research and share my findings. It'll be a learning curve for me but that's exactly what I love about this Forum - spurring the imagination. I also have downloaded some free software (Free Cam 8 ) to record a tutorial. Still don't know how to post it professionally like John does but with some help I'm sure I will manage.

In the meantime stay tuned for KALEIDOSCOPE 2!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum