PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

Go down
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Empty THE CHASE - Educational game and template

Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 am
Since getting all inspired by matto's quiz generator, I've spent the last few (long) days feverishly developing a version of 'The Chase'.

It's based on the second section of the show where the contestant has the 1:1 challenge with the Chaser.

The main product will be a template where you can insert your own questions and answers. In order to test the template I made this playable demo version but without the time restriction on answering. The process works like the (UK) TV version:

- Chaser revealed
- Choose amount to be played-for
- Reveal question and answer options
- Contestant chooses answer
- Reveal correct answer
- Move amount down the board if answer correct
- Reveal Chaser's answer
- Move Chaser's block down the board if answer correct
- Click reset button for next question
- Repeat

In this game the Chaser will get around 85% of the answers correct, so around 15% wrong answers.

Here are some screenshots:

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template 2023-03-24-11

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template 2023-03-24

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Game_in_progress

This is how to play (not as complicated as it looks if you follow the numbers and the arrows)
game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template How-to-play-pic

Here's how the template looks with instructions on how to use:
game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Template-pic

You can download the playable version here: https://1drv.ms/p/s!ApWzyYF91ItI1w4ldvpwj-nCwAXv?e=nBPXp3

I'll probably have to change the music to avoid copyright issues.

Last edited by johnr on Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Jarek likes this post

cotts1970
cotts1970
I'm New to PPC!
I'm New to PPC!

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Empty The Chase

Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:38 am
Will you be reposting? Would love to try this
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Empty Re: THE CHASE - Educational game and template

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:11 pm
Whoops!

I didn't realise Dropbox had such a short time limit.

Anyway, the playable version can be downloaded from here: The Chaser

I contacted the TV company to ask permission to use the show's sounds but they refused. I don't even think they are happy about using a similar format.

I am working on a different format for a quiz game like this to avoid the copyright issues.
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Empty Re: THE CHASE - Educational game and template

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:34 pm
johnr wrote:Whoops!

I didn't realise Dropbox had such a short time limit.

Anyway, the playable version can be downloaded from here: The Chaser

I contacted the TV company to ask permission to use the show's sounds but they refused. I don't even think they are happy about using a similar format.

I am working on a different format for a quiz game like this to avoid the copyright issues.

Good on you for asking permission! There is a slim chance they'll allow it, but it's worth a shot. Chances are, they're not interested unless you give them money so they can allow you to use their media and such and still has to get their stamp of approval.
matto
matto
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:55 pm
Sorry for my belated response. Life has been quite unreasonable lately. I did give this a try this when you first provided the link, but I've since lost the file and the link is now expired. I'm going to go off of my memory here. 

First of all. I'm glad that I was able to serve as inspiration for your project.  Cool

I'm American, and I've abstained from television for the past 15 years. I had never heard of The Chase, and I had no idea what the premise of the show was. As someone who's not familiar with the show, it's a bit hard for me to grasp playing alone. If the plan is to present this in front of a group of people, choose some participants, and navigate the game for them, then I think it's ok as is. 

However, I think the game needs improvement in two areas. 

1. At any time, the user is allowed to click on stuff they're not supposed to. Is there a way to prevent that?
2. The user is expected to perform actions which should be automated such as moving amounts down.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:13 am
Thanks for the feedback matto.

The intention is for the game to be used for educational purposes where a teacher can set-up questions for their class. The version that will be published has a template for inputting the questions and answer options on whatever subjects they want. This version is one where I added some questions etc as an example.

The Chase is a British game that has spread all over the world, with some slight national variations. There are plenty of editions on You Tube if you want to check it out.

There is one built-in 'shield' to stop the teacher clicking for a new question too soon which will mess up the sequence. Clicking for the other actions like moving amounts down allows the teacher to be in control and give a commentary as they click if they want to.

However...unfortunately, due to the copyright issues I am having to drop this game. I will be working on a different game with a similar gameplay - with zombies and a puppy!

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Picture1

Edit: The link is now to MS One Drive so will be permanent.
cotts1970
cotts1970
I'm New to PPC!
I'm New to PPC!

game - THE CHASE - Educational game and template Empty The Chase

Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:17 am
Thank you - incredible. Will be using next term for sure
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:28 am
Thank you - incredible. Will be using next term for sure

Please be aware that this version does not have the template for adding your own questions. I have put a link to the game and template below.

However...if you do download and play this game you could be in breach of the TV company's copyright.

GAME AND TEMPLATE
matto
matto
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:45 am
You just can't call it The Chase. Think of some parody name.  Razz

johnr likes this post

matto
matto
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:47 am
It's not The Chase... It's "The Sprint"
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:25 am
I've called it 'The Chaser'.

I haven't changed the file name yet, but the title slide says 'Chaser'
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:35 pm
Holy awesome re-skin to a popular game show, Batman!

Puppies and zombies, what's not to love about that?

I'm curious how that would work. How does one get incentivized to start closer to the chaser erm, zombie?
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:19 am
How does one get incentivized to start closer to the chaser erm, zombie?

Points! The pic shows 10 / 50 /500 but I'll probable change that to 5 / 50 / 500 which makes more mathematical sense or maybe 50 / 500 / 5,000. 50 doesn't sound as puny as 5.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum