NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Memory Matching Game Empty Memory Matching Game

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Hello everyone!

I know a lot of matching games have been made in PowerPoint but I made a version where the cards automatically flip over when you make a wrong match. Here's a link to the game page, where you can download the PPSX and PPTX versions of the game. I also posted a devlog discussing the process of making the game on the game page.

Here are some image previews:
Memory Matching Game 1_tuto10
Memory Matching Game 2_norm10

I hope you enjoy!
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Memory Matching Game Empty Re: Memory Matching Game

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:11 am
I had a look at your game page and especially your devlog which was fascinating.

You showed a randomising method that I have not come across before.

Just for comparison, here's a short video of the randomiser I've used for the MasterMind game. (You can make as many segments as you want that can link to different slides, or different animations on the same slide. You can also make rectangular / linear randomisers like this).

The revolving segments are covered by a transparent shield with a hole in it to restrict clicking to the Play button.

Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 am
Love it!
The simplicty of interacting with the game conceals the complexity of what's going on in the background. 
How long did it take you to make it?
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:17 am
@johnr
I think your randomizer is more elegant. I'm guessing this is the same one you used for Butterfly Hunt.

@Yahretzky
Thanks! It took me around 1 day (2 half-days) from conceptualization to a fully working prototype. Polishing actually took much longer perhaps because I wasn't constantly working on it due to other responsibilities.
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:21 am
Yes. There's one over the centre butterfly, then another in the 1-player game for the PPT net.

These ones have 10 segments with 1 segment for 10 points / 2 for 5 points / 3 for 3 points and 4 for 1 point
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:51 am
[UPDATE]

Thanks to @rusnakcreative I've started learning how to make macros with VBA.

For my first project, I added a random level generator to this game!

You can check out the PPSM file and a short devlog in the game page.
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 am
I can't get past the "generating random level" screen. The continue button, clicking or hitting space don't work for me. I tried both .ppsm files - with and without audio.
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 am
Have you enabled macros? There are instructions on how to do it on the game page.
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 pm
Got it. Thanks.
rusnakcreative
rusnakcreative
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.rusnakcreative.com

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 pm
Just gave it a play, and I love the polished look of the game! It feels like a legit mobile game, complete with the loading screens and everything. The animations with the sky changing colors is pretty slick. I also love how in such a short time, you were able to apply VBA to this without any issues. I'm going to guess, VBA isn't your first programming language? What else do you know?

With all that said, I do have a minor complaint. I'm unable to win, even on Easy mode Sad The best I could do is this:

Memory Matching Game Match_10

And this is me playing 5 rounds of Easy as fast as I can. Either I am just terrible at matching games, or the sun is just a tad too fast for Easy?

And one final note, which would make your life a lot easier for future games:
Code:
ActivePresentation.Slides(s).Shapes("ShapeGroupName").Visible = False
With using .Visible on the Shapes (including the name of the top level group,) can turn the visibility off, or on, depending on what you set it (True or False.) This will come in handy with all of your windows that you want to pop up on screen. You can have them positioned exactly where you want them, and then you can turn them off and leave them off, until you are ready to display them.

There's also this, which can help reset things whenever a user exits your game.

Code:
Sub OnSlideShowTerminate()

'Put all the code you want to run the second a user exits slideshow mode.
'Things like turning the visibility off (or on) for certain shapes or groups, such as your pop up windows.
'In order for this subroutine to work automatically, it MUST be named "OnSlideShowTerminate()"

End Sub
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 am
I mostly use Python but I also learned C++, Java, Perl and R in school so I have some programming experience (but not much!)

The difficulty is a common complaint I've received and I'm starting to suspect that there may be performance issues on other PowerPoint versions or devices (I'm using PowerPoint 2019). Maybe I'll post a video of how it appears on my laptop for comparison.

Thank you for the tips! I'll keep them in mind when I work on my next project.
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:26 am
As promised, here's a video of me playing a level in normal difficulty. Maybe I'm just used to differentiating the animals quickly and I got the rhythm of opening and closing cards right after playtesting the game a lot of times.

Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:30 am
I too can't pass the EASY level. Your video made things only worse - means I'm REALLY bad Wink

My minor complaint is that upon clicking a second tile it closes up together with first one so fast, that usually I'm not sure what the animal was. That's especially frustrating in case of those look-alike grey animals I can't immediately tell apart. With colours like red or blue I don't have to remember the animal. I remember the colour Smile
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:21 am
That's actually another common complaint. I considered fixing it but it would take me a loooong time to edit 900 closing animations plus I would have to extend the timer to take the delayed closing time into account. Perhaps I can find a way to do it through VBA. Thank you for your feedback!
NemoPearwall
NemoPearwall
Aspiring PPT Creator
Aspiring PPT Creator

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 am
[UPDATE]
- tile closing animation now has a short delay
- the time limit is extended

Savanna Matchmaker v1.1.ppsm

NOTE: Remember to unblock content before opening the file.

I found a way to delay the closing animations using VBA. I couldn't reference animations by shape or type so I had to get the index of each. Fortunately, the triggers and animations were arranged in an orderly manner so I only needed to find the index of the first trigger and the first triggered animation then use a nested for loop. If you think there's another way to reference animations, please let me know.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum