PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

Go down
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity Empty WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity

Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:54 am
I finished this game recently. It hasn't been made public yet.

I noticed a while ago that people's general knowledge of different countries and their locations was, on the whole, abysmal. Americans seemed to be the least informed, but I know that other countries (including mine) are not that far behind.

I do remember at the start of the Iran war, a street TV interviewer asked a student to point to Iran on a world map with no names printed on it. They pointed to Kentucky.

This game is designed to help deal with this problem. To play, you open a 'Departure Lounge' slide with 40 capital cities listed on 2 departure boards. When a destination is clicked, it links to a slide where an plane takes off and flies to that destination. When it lands, 8 pictures of the capital city and the wider country zoom-in one-by-one.

As it flies, you can't help but look at the countries it passes over. With no effort on the viewer's part, the countries and their locations are unconsciously taken on board. The more times the activity is undertaken, the more reinforcement of this takes place.

The activity can be used as a geography lesson in its own right, or it can be used as a Question & Answer game where a correct answer allows a destination to be chosen. Or, the choice of destination can be used as a reward for any kind of positive behaviour of teams or individuals.

You can download the PPTX version of the game here: WHERE NEXT?

Here are some screenshots:

WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity 2022-02-26-1

WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity 2022-02-26_(2)

WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity 2022-02-26_(3)

WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity 2022-02-26-4

WHERE NEXT? - A geography learning activity 2022-02-26_(6)
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum