PowerPoint Creative
PowerPoint Creative

Go down
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings Empty Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings

Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:29 am
Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings 1_210

Double click the file after downloading. Click the white gear. Experiment with settings. Leave clock running onscreen when not using computer.

Settings to try out: Detached mode + Full Screen preset + Cycle 5 sec. Despite the deceptive chaos I was still able to tell time correctly. Will it work with you?

Click this link to download.

rusnakcreative and !C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w like this post

Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings Empty Analogue Clock - Behind The Scenes

Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:35 am
It started with me trying to learn making Forms in Powerpoint VBA. Having made Spaceship5 I had some code for calculating angles and drawing lines, perhaps good enough for an analogue clock. I decided, therefore, to make an analogue clock and afterwards add a Form to it (a settings menu). Easy peasy I thought. Boy, was I wrong. Contrary to what I thought, I found the project very difficult, tedious and nearly a month in the making. I came across 2 paramount difficulties:
1. making the clock
2. making the Form 
Ha! Now that's what I call irony! Actually, it must have definitely been some kind of punishment administered to me by some evil force and I still can't figure out what I was being punished for.

The Clock
Problems with the clock included:
- manipulating degrees vs time to draw the hands (for example: 0 Deg = 360 Deg = 3 pm = 15:00 hrs. What?!)
- preventing the hands from extending beyond screen edges for the different clock modes
- getting the hour hand to move correctly (2 weeks for that alone given the domino effect with all the additional errors that kept popping up with each subsequent change of code).

The Form
With the Form it was a completely new experience alltogether. I found Forms to be exceptionally...
...neurotic. 
And unforgiving. 
With the slightest code inaccuracy Powerpoint would crash immediately without warning forcing me each time to use the CTRL-ALT-DEL trio and to shut down all running Powerpoint processes. Not to mention loosing my work on those occassions when I forgot to save it prior to a trial run. I also made the mistake of needlessly keeping a double set of variables, one in the Form, the other in the Module and then having to constantly remember to pass data between them. This resulted in several almost identical variable names for each item. In no time I was totally lost with what did what, where was I or even who I was. On top of that the Form acted as if an Option Explicit statement had been used although I didn't use it because it always meant trouble for me. This time double trouble.

The clock might glitch at times (pun intended). It's an amateur's code, afterall, who's making Powerpoint plow through deviant calculations and forcing it to produce output it was never by default intended for. But hey! Not until now have I ever expected for it to be possible to fire up a Powerpoint presentation to get a full screen analogue clock running in real time and really showing time Smile

Jarek
!C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w
!C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings Empty Re: Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings

Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:23 am
Firstly first, HOLY, DUCKING, SHEET. You've done it man, this is some next level stuff. I REALLY ADORE THE DETACHED MODE WITH THE TICKING SOUND, it reminds me of something I used to see in Cartoon Network late at night or very early in the morning. What was it that I saw, that has an awfully identical aesthetic to this minimalistic half transparent rectangle that are positioned on top of one another, I can't remember it anymore, its been lost to time. But it really evokes the late night vibes, when I was a child, awoke in the middle of the night, TV still running, the clock's ticking echoed throughout the house, the only sound that truly broke the deafening silence of midnight.

You nailed the atmosphere on this one mate, I'm definitely sharing this around and believe me, they'll say similar things.

Also, I'm definitely gonna let this adorable thing run throughout the night while I sleep.

Addendum: set the cycle to 1 second for extra trippiness. Jarek doesn't have to make it show the time correctly, this could've work just as a trippy screen saver alone, but he made it work anyway and that's really awesome.

Last edited by !C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w on Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added addednum)
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings Empty Re: Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings

Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:59 pm
Just had a play with the clock. Amazing stuff!! I must admit to being really shocked to see that the time was exact to my UK time (not the time in Poland!) I guess that the programme takes the time from my PC (?) but whatever, I wasn't expecting that.

My hair-pulling PowerPoint frustrations usually stem from animation and trigger sequences and bring to front / send to back. You have taken PowerPoint frustrations to a whole new level! You have also taken PowerPoint achievement to a whole new level.

As a reserved Brit, I only use the word 'awesome' when something actually leaves me in awe. This was awesome.
Jarek
Jarek
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:36 am
Thanks for the compliments! I never expected that kind of approval!

@Hypela
So now I've got you Hype. If I can do something like that in Powerpoint then it's only the limit of your imagination what you can do with C++. For instance: a .dll timer for Powerpoint to be able to set time to 1/1000 of a second like in Excel Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings 1f605. Study hard my friend - it's the window of opportunity for you.

@johnr
The clock takes system time from the local PC. I'm unable to choose the correct words to show my gratitude for a true reserved Brit's "awesome" - especially since I consider you my Pure Powerpoint Mentor. How about if we settle it with a yet undetermined amount of pints the day I arrive in my campervan? Fullscreen Analogue Clock With Settings 1f607

---

BTW - when in the Settings menu there is a line at the bottom of the window about me and Powerpoint Creative. Try clicking on that.

!C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w likes this post

!C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w
!C8Hypela/M!!fN+hj5w
Featured Creator
Featured Creator

Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:25 am
AYO IT DO BE LINK TO PPC
johnr
johnr
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.powerpointgames.uk

Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:47 am
How about if we settle it with a yet undetermined amount of pints the day I arrive in my campervan?

I am definitely up for that!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum